For so many of us, being your own boss is the dream. Except once you actually quit your 9 to 5, the freedom can be overwhelming and staying productive the biggest challenge. We asked entrepreneurs to share their go-to productivity hacks and the answers are absolute game-changers for anyone struggling to stay productive day after day.
1. The productivity of your day starts the night before: Map out what you want to get done the night before so that you can start your day with a plan.
2. Meditate, meditate, meditate: Stop overanalyzing and worrying about how you’re going to complete all the tasks ahead. Your day has just started. Don’t think of meditating as a particularly spiritual practice. Meditating can be as simple as sitting for 5 minutes and clearing your mind. Focus on your breathing and how your body feels.
3. Get moving: Stretch for a few minutes or go on a quick run.
4. Visualize your goals: Visualization is the simple action of imagining in detail what your goals will look like once realized. You can use visualization with long-term or short-term goals. What’s important is that visualization will activate your brain to start generating ideas of how to achieve that goal, recognize the resources you’ll need and build your motivation.
5. Work smart not hard: Focus on a task for a short period of time and then allow yourself to rest for a longer period. Small amounts of focused action immediately followed by a long period of rest are the secret formula for getting tasks done at a sustainable pace. Play the long game and don’t burn out!
6. Say no to distractions: Avoiding social media can seem like a daunting task, so make sure you have the right tools in place. In addition, your email inbox, while work-related, can still be an overbearing distraction that takes up more of your time than it should. Use Chrome’s News Feed Eradicator for Facebook and Inbox When Ready for Gmail. These tools will help protect your focus throughout the day.
7. Take care of yourself: Leave the Redbull and sleepless nights in college. Entrepreneurs sleep well, eat well and exercise. If you still associate productivity with unhealthy habits, it’s time to pick up new ones.
8. Read for an hour before you go to sleep each night: To wake up early every morning you have to be excited for the day ahead. The last thing you do before going to sleep shouldn’t be work. Successful entrepreneurs often work past 9 to 5 office hours, but they also don’t work every waking moment. Each night before going to bed, put all of your electronics away. Read for an hour or half an hour to get your mind off of work. It’s guaranteed to make you wake up more easily and excited for work the next day.
9. Stick to a routine: Structure your day and especially your morning with a routine. A routine can be really simple. It can just be waking up at the same time or around the same time every morning, doing a simple meditation and doing the tasks that are essential to running your business.
Want to learn more about avoiding the productivity slump? Or want to ask a certain founder on Lama about how they personally fight procrastination? Download LAMA App to learn more!